Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year In Review: Benjamin's 2008

You got your first real haircut, and you were a statue son.

You hated our February snow. As it began to fall, you stood at the window and commanded it to stop. When we made you go out and play in it, you threw a fit.


You received and lost your toddler bed.



You refused to put on short sleeves as the weather warmed.



You had your first visit to the dentist, and you were not a fan.


Now watermelon in a huge box in the yard?
You were a fan.


You were particular about your clothing. We wore these shoes to church more than once. You refused to wear your Christmas sweater. You would not allow me to zip up the turtle neck on your turtle neck sweater just yesterday. On Halloween you went to daycare in a cape, a vampire shirt, and your old bat ears and declared yourself Batman, but you would not allow me to put dark pants on you. You had to wear jeans.


You grew up by like five years.




You are confident in new situations after pausing and assessing. You are not confident with new people, which is a trait I am glad you have.




You were quick to help your sisters.




You were quick to stand behind the couch when something on tv scared you. You also told me one night that you were scared of the walls in your bedroom because they were going to bite you. I highly suspect that was a delay tactic.



And Mr. Potato Head's pirate earrings look great on you, don't worry what your dad says.
Last night you washed your own hair in the bath, took the loofah and washed yourself and rinsed doing a better job than I probably would have. When you got out of the tub you let me help dry you off, and I wrapped the towel around you and hugged you tight and told you how proud I was of my baby boy. You replied, "I'm not a baby."
I know son. I know.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gentle Ben, you touch the hearts of all of us with your antics. You seem to have taken on the roll of taking care of things for the rest of the Brood. And Mom is right, we all turned around and one day you had zipped way past being a baby!!

Each day we all tune in to see what the little guy with the big blue eyes will do today. And each day we're glad to read about the escapades of the Brood.

Enjoy 2009, Benjamin, and let us enjoy it through you!!