Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Great Negotiator

From My Monthly Update on, you know, what exactly my children should be doing:

An ability to count begins as your child heads toward 3, at least in a primitive way. First a child is able to identify when there is one, and more than one (though not whether it's two or six). By age 2, a child can count to two ("one, two"), and by 3, he can count to three, but if he can make it all the way up to 10, he's probably reciting from rote memory. Kids this age don't yet actually understand, and can't identify, the quantities they're naming.

So when I hand Nicholas 2 crackers and then we go through the following every single time, does it mean he is a genius?

"Here you go."
"No. Five crackers."
"No Nicholas. You can have two crackers."
"No. Five, mommy. Five, crackers."
"No Nicholas. That is two crackers."
"No. I want five crackers."
"Here. You can have three crackers."
"Okay. Three crackers. Okay mommy, three crackers."

3 comments:

The Kings said...

Yep. I think that's exactly what it means.

Well, that and the cutest little negotiator I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is how they count EVERYTHING. "One, one, two, four, nine, ten!"

The Dukes said...

Love the new blog design!

Yes, he is certainly gifted.

I'm wondering what happens if you drop a whole sleeve on the floor all at once? Can he count them all fast like? Then you've got yourself a show to take on the road...