Friday, September 5, 2008

Elaine

If there is pink available, you wear it in order to keep you distinct from your sister at a glance.


But, I have to tell you there are other ways I know you are Elaine. One of those is that sweet smile. It peeks out and oozes little girl to me, which is why you were designated pink baby. When you are a teenager, I guess you will wear all black, but for now, you are my pink baby.


And then there is the way that you are content. You are content to explore on your own. You are content to contend with your sister. You are content to give me a hug. It is rare to see you fuss.


But even though you aren't fussing, I've watched you. I've watched you snatch things you want and collect things all to your own like your brother Nicholas. I've watched you assert yourself already. And I find it charming that you can be so sneaky. One day, I don't guess I'll find that so charming, but right now it makes me smile and cheer you on a little.



You love peek-a-boo, which is always a good way to make sure who you are when I have both you girls in the bathtub. You'll bury your head way down to the water, and when I ask where Elaine went, you come up with that smile. That smile that will melt hearts one day.




Oh what adventures we will have Elaine.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, "That smile will melt hearts one day"? That smile melts hearts EVERYday! She is too sweet! I miss her! Please give her a big kiss for me!

The Dukes said...

Aw, Elaine! You little pink sweetheart you! Your Mommy loves you sooooo much.

Anonymous said...

Mom, that is so very heartwarming!
Every sentence made my smile grow larger!

I've said it before and, by gosh, I'll say it again, you are blessed to have four of the most beautiful children!

Since Em, I've realized just how special your home is. You take everything you just wrote and multiply it by four. My goodness each day your heart must burst with joy and love!!