Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Brief on Iraq

From JB (My response in CAPS):

Well, this is a goat rope. (AND YOU EXPECTED WHAT? YOU KNOW THE MILITARY!)

I took my box to pak mail & it cost waaay to much to send. (NEVER DO THAT--THE PACKAGE PEOPLE ARE GOOD CAPITALISTS AND DON'T GIVE BREAKS TO US)

So I took it to post office, but they require a listing of items & cost of each which I did not have with me. It is like a customs declaration! (OTHER PLACE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS TOO ACTUALLY)

Granted, I have not mailed to an APO in 45 yrs, but is this normal? (YES)

Warn others to have their list ready when mailing!!!! (DONE)

Worth it. Don't worry. I just didn't know. (NOW WE ALL KNOW)


Been meaning to mention this and JB just confirmed for me that it would be useful.

You have to fill out this: http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps2976.pdf

when you ship internationally--even to military folks.

It is a pain. But, leaving your family and your home for a year is a pain too.

4 comments:

JB-anon no more! said...

This I'd NOT a pain. Our guys need Gold Bond, they GET it. Red tape is probably for security. Whatever it takes. By gosh.

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

It's a pain.

The Noltes said...

JB-- you are way to honest.
I wrote: movies, snacks, kleenex

Of course, there are some other things in there, but I couldn't list them if I had two weeks to fill in that form! I made a modest guess as to the value. He even said I did a good job of taping! (The entire box was taped!) I think he was making fun of me but I kept a smile. I think mine was $15 to mail and considering I was ready to pay a lot more, it seemed like a bargain. My first APO shipping but not my last!

JB-anon no more! said...

That is funny, Noltes! Ever since immigration didn't believe me when I said I had nothing to declare...um, never mind! Ok, personal care products and etc it is. If they mess with me, I'll call in my friend who can drive an MRAP!