Monday, February 22, 2010

Brief from Iraq (Quicker than Loading Pictures It Seems)

All is well in Baghdad.

I know I haven't been writing or calling much, but not for lack of wanting to. Me and my counterpart, CPT Dees, have been going through our transition of authority of property and things have been relatively smooth. The majority of my men arrived the night before last, so we were working it was a late getting everyone settled in the Air Force is running the housing and the air movement and it has been a mess to say the least. They don't house their people according to unit organization, so that has been a challenge to work around them. I will not even speak of the communication regarding air movement.

I will be finishing my last paper for the Non-Western Warfare Seminar this week to close out my 2nd of three semesters for Norwich. My grade for the seminar--albeit a B--suffered due to all of the movment and immense workload over the past two months, so I will be taking an academic break until September. The facilities fantastic compared to past deployments--pretty much like living in a mobile home without plumbing. Shower and latrine trailers are nearby and the food is fantastic... to include a midnight chow period. Its really good to watch AFN (Armed Forces Network) again and pick up the Stars and Stripes in the morning and keep in touch with what is going on in the outside world. Indirect fire alarms are sporatic and send people to nearby bunkers once or twice a week, but nothing very big is coming in. The Gatlin cannons--or CWhiz--are pretty good at deflecting or detonating them. I have onley seen one detonate in the perimeter since my arrival.

Overall things are good. Alot of units in Kuwait had trouble losing weapons and other equipment and other issues co-ed units bring. Fortunately, I have a great junior officer and NCO corps and experienced no issues of the sort. We also have a policy of separating ourselves from other units and repeling outsiders. You don't want leprosy? Don't hang out with lepers. Yes, I know, but you get the picture.

I have my troop forming up so must go. I hope this finds everyone well and will send some pictures along next week once I have thrown off my academic yoke. Nowich has lived up to the "Expect Challenge, Acheive Distinction" to be sure.

No comments: