Friday, August 1, 2008

Things Too Aggravating To Grab the Camera During: Green Goo

Hidden down in this package of shark joy were some cupcakes. The kind of cupcakes that have as much frosting as cake. Bright green frosting. Let me just pause to say thanks Jen. Thanks so much.


I happened to be smart enough to see those cupcakes and rescue them before the big unveil. They sat high on the counter as the maniacs dug in to their new fishy toys.

Don't think those girls just sat back and watched either.


And joy filled Stuberville.

And then dad needed a break for a few minutes. In our house sometimes a parent just needs to step away for a minute or two. It becomes Parent B's duty to preferably provide Parent A with a moment where they do not have to hear screaming in the background--for just five minutes please. One good trick: The Big Chase. The Big Chase goes something like this: run around the house and chase boys until you catch them and then turn around and run from the boys until they catch you. The girls are generally amused enough to watch a whirl of three come flying through the room a couple times a minute as we make the round track through living room, the slippery tile floor of the kitchen, navigate the dining room furniture, and round the corner back to the living room. Parent B can generally break free and head for the laundry room to hide and catch her breath for a few minutes while the boys figure out that mom is missing and go find her. Then I jump out at them. Screams of delight ensue and the chase is on again.

Two nights ago I ran for the laundry room and crouched behind the dryer, panting and suppressing my giggles at this part of the game. "MOMMY!" They were on to me, I had disappeared. I had only a few moments before a timid head would peer around the dryer and find me out.

Nothing.

Surely they didn't forget the hiding place? But catching my breath and crouching in the dark was so peaceful that I waited. Quiet. (I know, I know. Quiet is not good in our house. When will I learn that?) Eventually, I peeked out. Down the hall in the kitchen I saw the children huddled. This wasn't good. Reluctantly I left the haven of the laundry room to see what was so interesting. The closer I came, the more I noticed the frenzy of activity. Oh, they are playing feeding frenzy. They saw it on shark week. How cute.

No.

They were playing everyone-work-together-to-rip-the-cupcake-container-apart. I had made it in time though and snatched it out of eight little hands. Screams of delight turned into screams of terror. So I decided to let them have cupcakes after scraping most of the pile of green frosting off. Children were sat down at the table and given cupcakes. They played with them for a minute, whimpering.

"Gucky."

Alright, get down. We're not doing this. I took the cupcakes away and screaming began once again. Dad showed up and they ran to him to plead their case--before I could wipe the remnants of green frosting off of their little hands. Not knowing the whole story, he let them run chaotic. We now have green walls in the living room in places, and it just doesn't go with our color scheme.






3 comments:

The Dukes said...

Despite the title...I was reading and scrolling and reading and scrolling as fast as I could to get to the bottom to see the Brood covered in green icing. Don't you wish you could take a picture just by consciously blinking sometimes, in an I Dream of Jeanie sort of way?

The Kings said...

It's too bad they couldn't have gotten it on the wallpaper patch Ben took off a while back. I know there is all amounts of pay back in store for us as Emily grows bigger.

It looks like the Shark Week box was enjoyed. We're glad of that - even with gucky cupcakes and icing painted walls. I forgot. I should have gotten shark shapes carrots for Nicholas! ha

Anonymous said...

I wanted a picture, also. But, with your wonderful talent for writing, I think I got the idea!! Just remember that when Emily gets big enough to enjoy gucky stuff!