Monday, March 8, 2010

Guest Blogging: Grandma's Week

Words from grandma's week below. Pictures tomorrow, they are languishing at the moment on my computer at home. Thank you Gayle for soldiering through the week for us. Let's just say that as I was watching this in the mornings, she was getting her workout:


First of all--I HAVE to day--I DO NOT know how you do this every day, every week, all the time! I have LOVED being with them, but it is exhausting. For me, the saving grace is that I do not really have a schedule and don't have to worry about being any place at any particular time. Also--I can do clothes and dishes while I work!

SO given that--it has been a wonderful week. Thank you for letting me have such a wonderful experience! I hope I have [sic--I hope at least...] totally messed up your routine at home. The kids have really been great--a few meltdowns here and there, but -- hey!--they are kids!

The girls love being a princess and announce it often. The boys are into Buzz Lightyear thanks to the new Toy Story movies. And, I might add, new movies have been a life saver this week. We have used the kitchen table for those 'markers' which has worked fairly well. Elaine has beautiful nails (or is it snails!?), of course, but overall, the pictures are beautiful and it has kept them busy.

Grandma's challenges:

Before Mom left--how to use the garbage disposal, dish washer, and garage door opener (except for the button in the car!)

Monday morning--how to close the garage door. Ben knows there is a button somewhere, but with the Robot Car, who knows what all the buttons would do. (by the way--the car beeps all the time and I can't figure it out!) Thanks to Ben's suggestion, I call Mom just before she boards the plane to find out which button to push so we can get to school!

Afternoon--OK! The kids get to use the markers and we watch the new Toy Story which keeps everyone happy--twice!

Tuesday--overall, went well. The kids are really helping out--and seem to be OK with Grandma not really knowing how to do all the stuff they usually get from Mom! We played with the new play dough toys that Aunt Kate sent--they have enjoyed them and send their "thanks" to Aunt Kate!

Movie night--we watched Ratatouille--a movie that Nick requested. They liked it-no princesses, but not bad.

Wednesday--the major challenge was the Washing Machine craziness. I closed the door while washing sheets and towels and the machine was apparently unbalanced. It moved across the floor, in front of the closed door, and--imagine the rest! Fortunately, I managed to get my arm through the door, shut down the machine, move the door enough to get through, and all was well!

Movie night--back to Toy Story 2~ and markers. Dinner was corn dogs, green beans, mac n' cheese, and ketchup! Remember the corndogs--

Thursday morning: Every time I tried to put the left shoe on either of the girls, they cried and said it hurt! The shoe fit yesterday--what was the problem??? It turns out, that Elaine lost a corndog the night before--we couldn't find it--looked everywhere. Well--once I finally stuck my finger into the shoe--I found it! The shoe fit and all was well--

Thursday night: Making Cookies night--I took before and after pictures and the cookies tasted great. Ben likes the dough (me too) and everyone liked the chocolate chips. Might explain tummy aches later in the evening, though. The weather was great--and they played outside before movie night (Toy story--fortunately, I really like it!)

Friday: my last day as a 'lone grandma'--Took the kids to school, washed clothes, and am now catching up with emails. Mom comes home late tonight. The kids and I are going to make some pretty "Welcome Home' Pictures--and -- Saturday Morning--Welcome to Mom! Have I said it--you are a GREAT mom!
Gayle

7 comments:

JB-anon no more! said...

It's beatification first, then sainthood. Right? I nominate Grandma Gayle.

The Dukes said...

I LOVE all this talk of the Toy Story movies!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are near and dear to my heart, I actually get a little emotional about it...

Sounds like they both had fun and survived. Mission accomplished!

Anna said...

The corndog in the shoe is hilarious. She's smarter than me - I probably would have kept shoving the shoe on, never thinking to stick my hand in and see what the problem was! What a great Grandma!

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

You will have to share your obsession some time Dukes. This is not the first time that Toy Story has come up with you...

The Dukes said...

I will blog about it June 18, 2010, the day Toy Story 3 hits theaters.

HEY! There's your movie to take the kids too with the gift certs!

The Kings said...

I'm patiently waiting on pictures of the snails.

Must confess my love for Toy Story as well. Looking forward to June 18.

JB-anon no more! said...

Umm, can I confess to the Dukes that hubby & I went to Toy Story (1) with no kids? Pretty funny. We my need some "cover" for TS3. Renting kids, Susan?