Friday, January 15, 2010

Whispers--Not Really

Our obsession with ghosts in the house lasted a couple of days. When we didn't find any actual ghosts, Nicholas just started turning his toys into ghosts with a couple of well placed wipes.


Then we turned our attention to the whisper book of Benjamin's choosing.
Since it was Benjamin's book, Nicholas thought it his duty to interrupt the dramatic reading at each page. When we got to the page with the llamas sitting on the mountain at the "top of the world" said in a lulling, go-to-bed whisper, Nicholas piped up loudly.
"Mommy what is that thing that is going to hit him in the head?"
"Huh?" (searching the page)
"That thing falling on his head!"
"Oh, that is a shooting star. It's okay. It's way up in the sky and won't hit him in the head."
Here we go.
"What's a shooting star?"
Brief explanation of how it really isn't a star, mention of atmosphere, worked in Colorado in the summer, and on to the mythology of making a wish, hoping I solved all of the questions at once.
Benjamin is waiting patiently for me at this point to get on to the alligator on the next page.
"Why do I make a wish?"
"Um." (silence) Redirection: "You make a wish, but you can't tell anyone your wish or it won't come true."
"Mommy."
"Yes Nicholas."
(very seriously) "I'm going to wish that the shooting star just hits me in the head."
"Okay Nicholas, but you can't tell me your wish. You have to keep it secret."




2 comments:

JB-anon no more! said...

I'm reminded of the story of the child who asked where he came from. After the long, tortuous explanation of egg and sperm and how they unite, the kid was very quiet but then explained that his teacher wanted the class to find out where they were BORN (where do I come from? Oh. Mississippi.)

Time for bedtime story "rules"? One question, no followup? ;)

Anonymous said...

I guess everyone is whispering their comments on yesterday's post and we can't hear them! I liked it!