Monday, January 11, 2010

The Sunday Inning: Winter Camp

Our friend Nancy doesn't just have a pool for the summer that needs filling. She also has a sister willing to play with children, crazy good organizational skills, and I suspect a little bit of time on her hands in this cold weather.

Because they arrived Sunday afternoon with this craft ready to go. I've never actually had the chance to sit and watch craft time unfold under someone else's care. They are so interested. They didn't run off. They took turns. I dont' believe anyone even fought during craft time.


But then there was story time, and a game, and dancing, and


they even brought hot chocolate along.
(I got a week's worth of laundry put away, the toys picked up and the dinner dishes put away without interruption.)



We have been looking for something to fill that space on the bottom half of the wall in the hallway for some time now. I love how each kid got the same materials but each snowman is so unique. Can you tell who made each of them?




And after the camp directors left us with a Netflix movie in hand and after the sugar high had reached full effect, the kids watched a movie and the girls admitted they were a bit worn out.
And this from generally solemn Ben:
"Mommy, I have to tell you something."
"Yes Ben."
"Will Nancy and Barbra come back?"
"Yes Ben."
"Oh. ... Good."






7 comments:

JB-anon no more! said...

Susan, I have to "tell" you something. Do you have the nicest people in the world helping you with the Brood?

Yes, yes you do. Bless them.

The Kings said...

That is an awesome post. What a wonderful Sunday afternoon blessing and what wonderful Crafty Sisters. The snowmen are spectacular!

The Kings said...

Oh, my snowman guesses...
Left to right
Benjamin (diggin' the multi-colored earmuffs)
Nicholas (red scarf is his signature)
Alida (her snowman has freckles, and I'm not sure what the green pom poms are all about, but I love it!)
Elaine (guessing she stuck with her roots on the pink boots)

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

I thought the green pom poms were a very nice touch.

The Noltes said...

Those are the cutest snow people ever! It almost makes me miss my kindergarten class. Well, almost!

Gran of The Dukes
Colorado, USA

L&B said...

This post absolutely warms my heart! The kids must be very proud of their creations! Did Nicholas try to sell you artistic creation?

I must admit that the green pom poms remind me of the poms that adorned my roller skates growing up...anyone else?

The Dukes said...

Gran! You can bring the snowman project to Lawrence!!! :)

Can I just say again how much more clear and wonderful the pictures are from the new camera?

When are these ladies coming back, is there a countdown? I bet they had fun too and wow they thought of everything- the hot cocoa- the movie-that's awesome! Where did you find these people?!!