Thursday, January 28, 2010

All Before We Left The House


Wednesday morning Nicholas brings everyone around the hibiscus plant in the yard to mourn the loss of last year's branches, which my dad had cut back while he was here last weekend. As the three stood around with their heads bowed to the stubble at the ground (one girl took no interest in the lamenting), I explained that it would grow back in the spring.

At the mention of spring, Nicholas' eyes light up, and he gives up and walks toward the car ready to get in now. "Will we go to Aunt Lori's in the Spring mom?"


And then we begin the review of last year's Spring visit to Texas. And we all agree that was fun and we should do it again. And I mention, "And you know what? Aunt Lori is going to have a baby! So we have to go visit."


As I'm finally buckling everyone in to their seats, this: "Mommy, where do babies come from?" Just like that. Just those words. And just then, a baby girl started fussing for her gloves, and I was conveniently distracted from hearing the question and mumbled that Brian and Lori love each other very much.


There you go. The cycle of life in reverse all while loading the car.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

The meaning of life displayed for your pleasure...all in one special moment. Beautiful.

JB-anon no more! said...

Are you lamenting the fact that you initiated this having a baby conversation? You walked right into THAT mac truck, mom.

Recovery was perfect. Kudos.

The Dukes said...

I can't believe he delivered the classic line like it was a movie: "Where do babies come from?"

The "Did the doctor squirt me up your nose?" that I got was not big screen material.

L&B said...

This entry brought a tear to my eye :-) You guys are welome to Texas ANY TIME. We would LOVE to have you this year again...if we can make the logistics work :-)

Anna said...

Nicholas is so bright. I love that he was "lamenting" the loss of the plant. That is too cute. And I can't believe he even thought to ask where babies come from! Good save though - I have no clue how you would address that with a 4 year old. Hopefully he'll forget the question for a few more years :)

Anonymous said...

This is the only way I know to reach you on weekend and wanted you to know this: Gene doesn't know you except an occasional view of the Brood blog, but he prayed for your safe return from H today. I know you are exhausted and sad, but also safe at home. We will keep P in our prayers too.