Monday, October 26, 2009

The Weekend Outings: Bravery

Didn't you just get back?
See ya.

My plan was to just drive around in the new car all weekend with movies playing. But either I realized what kind of gas money I would be spending or I realized that in a short five weeks we would be sentenced to home confinement or get over ourselves and start going. So we headed to the Botanical Gardens, which I really like to imagine are just my own gardens. The crowd was small enough that each kid had their own play house with one to spare.


After lunch, we took the long way to the zoo.


And maybe sat in the parking lot once we got there for a few minutes to finish naps and the movie.



We trekked to the Teton Trek at the zoo, which was beautiful. This would be where Nicholas decided it would be fun to run off on his own. So the camera went away. And for good or bad, I let him wander on the porch while I watched him through the window for a minute or two to let the whole vastness of being lost sink in. We've been talking a lot lately about how important it is that we stick together in every sense of the word.




And then this on the way back.
It was nearly like camouflaging a set of twins.
Mostly I don't mind the attention we get, but I have my days. This had been a long day. We had been at the zoo for about three hours at this point. I was alone in large open space with them for the first time really. So every time I passed someone and they stared at us; every time I passed someone and I heard them exclaim behind us; every time we negotiated a door and someone just stood and stared at us to watch how we do it (with a little quiet help and a smile from a stranger would be nice); every time people felt comfortable just stopping us to chat; every time someone new walked in the bathroom and stopped short to assess how I was dealing with my kids, I looked away. I wasn't in the mood Saturday. I wasn't trying to be rude, I was really just pretending there was nothing to see.


Really, they were so good that we all got ice-cream at the end and stayed an extra half an hour lingering at the zoo entrance area. Because there was no way that combination was getting in the new van.



And wearing them out must have worked because the escape artist and her sister Alida didn't show up at my door until 7 Sunday morning. And they were perfectly happy to do this while I took a shower and poured a cup of coffee.











6 comments:

The Kings said...

Aside from the nosy, crazy, staring, rude, annoying folks, that looks like a very good weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you have thought of a sign in the same vein as the Memphis Opera headquarters during construction of their ultra-modern tilting design: "Yes, we know it's leaning".

Your sign might be long or short depending on your mood. I would go with "I found them at the zoo".

The Dukes said...

I love your new label.

I say start telling the onlookers what to do. They'll be helping you before they even know what's happening. You can't change that they didn't think of it but it might get the door opened!

I'm serious! Tell them to grab the door for you, hold your drink, take a picture of all of you together...if even a few of them say yes it will be worth having asked for the help.

Anna said...

You know, even after Patric leaves, you could always invite a certain nanny's sister to come join you at the Botanic Gardens/Zoo/Children's Museum/wherever-to-get-y'all-out-of-the-house. I rarely have any plans on the weekend, and my hubby spends his time watching sports. Just a thought. I'd hate for y'all to be stuck in the house :)

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

Anna, I checked--you had plans last weekend...

Dukes, I'm as bad as the 2-year-olds: "I can do it myself!"

Anna said...

i did, didn't i? well, that's a once-in-a-blue-moon kinda thing. we had fun, and georgia traveled great. try me again next time. i'll hold the door open for you ;)