Thursday, January 29, 2009

Our First Act of Thievery

But a quick side-note this morning. Alida. When I put on my new, tan wool pants this morning with the smart heels and wool sweater (read dry clean only, which generally means I don't purchase them but this was such a good sale), I had it in my head to be careful not to make any messes today. When I was walking to the car with you in my arms before I put on my coat and my heel stuck in the cuff of these wonderful new pants sending me dancing across the driveway, you rolled with it girl. When I somehow managed to dance my way across the driveway, fly into the air and perform a mid-air barrel roll to save you from being hurt when we landed in that snow in the yard that I managed to fling myself and you in to, you laughed. Then your dad laughed and took delight in telling everyone he could find at daycare to be careful because it was slippery today. That was our morning. Let's hope our days go better.

Now. Nicholas.
This is the carryout container from dinner the other night. It had used ketchup smeared all over the inside when you stole it from the table and started stashing toys in it. This son does not keep your toys safe; it keeps your toys nasty.

And. When we all six went to the grocery store the other day, you insisted on having some tomatoes, which we certainly aren't going to discourage. Well, actually we are going to discourage it now. Because at check out when you started handing out all of the items from the cart, we didn't really imagine that you had stashed back the tomatoes. And later in the car, we found you holding those tomatoes, and right or wrong we determined that we support Schnucks enough that we weren't morally obliged to go back (but don't think that when you are capable of understanding the lesson, we won't march right back in that store and apologize and pay out of our allowance. But right now, you get a pass for stealing tomatoes.) So. We promptly forgot about those tomatoes until a couple of days later when I remembered them while at work and tried to remind myself to dig them out of the back of the car later. But I forgot. And then a day or so later when your dad was looking through your stashes for something you were screaming for, he ran across your tomatoes. Again son. This is not keeping your toys safe; it is keeping them nasty.


5 comments:

Anna said...

Yeah, stashing tomatoes is pretty gross. And putting toys in the take home container with ketchup is pretty bad too. What is this kid thinking? I don't know, but he's providing me entertainment, so keep up those crazy antics, Nickel! I can't believe he stole the tomatoes. I'm sure he didn't mean to, but you're right, even if you'd made him take them back I don't think he would have understood what he'd done wrong. Hope this cold, cloudy day gets better for you!

The Kings said...

I think it has become obvious Nicholas is going to own one of those safe storage facilities at some point in his lifetime.

The Kings said...

Nicholas Man...

Now you will never get your
FBI clearance when Emily is
President.

I can hear them now.. "Sir do you
remember that cold day in 2009..
Tomatoes... Do we need to say
more?"

hahaahaha.... PRICELESS !

Mark

Mark

Anonymous said...

Nicholas is gearing up for a "safe room" in his house. Not necessarily for being safe from intruders, but just to keep his stash safe:)

Hope you don't wake up all sore in the morning from the spill you took today!!

Anonymous said...

Well, it would appear that Nicholas has heard the economy is going down the tubes and he's just stocking up for hard times:)

Nicholas, you might want to try Twinkies, the shelf life is much better:)