Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Pre-schoolers

Yesterday my boys joined the ranks at daycare of what they call "pre-schoolers." Transition is complete, and they are off and running. There hasn't been a single potty training accident at school since we started wearing big boy pants a month ago, there is handwriting curriculum, and Benjamin exclaims at least once a day now that he is a "big boy." Stop. Did I just say handwriting curriculum? Are you kidding? They are 2! I know, not for long, but technically they are still 2! Yet here they come every day with sheets from school where they have been tracing letters. They purposefully sing the alphabet. They count things. Last night Benjamin was looking at a shark book and explained that the whale shark does not have big teeth. (I'm so proud of my shark lover--he may have got some coaching along the way...)

And then this. As we picked up our mound of papers yesterday (really daycare, we don't need two of every announcement for their class and four of every announcement for the daycare. We just don't.), out fell two envelopes. Our first birthday party invitations. After I finished snickering because the party was for Jack and we were to RSVP to Jill (I take my amusement where I can), I started wondering who in this mass of people was Jack? They've been in this class officially for one day, who is Jack? Was I supposed to learn every one's name that fast? The boys have only recently started referring to their classmates by name and the girls are still "baby."

And then I noticed the date of the party. Oh good, we'll be out of town. My blood pressure over my many opinions on this issue can lower. For now at least.

4 comments:

The Kings said...

They can't be preschoolers! It can't be that long ago since we celebrated their upcoming arrival with our pea in the pod cupcakes!

They are so sweet and so smart, and I know you are so proud of them.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the reason they are in with the pre-schoolers at 2 is because they are so gifted. (And that is no doubt thanks to the wonderful nanny they had for a short while!) But really, THEY'RE TWO!!!!

The Dukes said...

It's their giftedness, AND their attractiveness! There must have been some homely looking kids in there and they looked around the younger kid room and said "There! Right there. We need those two adorable faces!" And up they moved into preschool to balance things out and letter trace. Awesome!

Benjamin and Nicholas, you're almost 3!!! Halfway to first grade.

Your mother will kill me for pointing that out.

Anonymous said...

Just wait until they learn to write "Mom!" That'll be great:) Three in a few weeks, gracious time really does fly by! Little minds learning "big" things, YEA!!