Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Actual Birthday

Scramble in the door through the rain after daycare and start taking drink orders.
Have toys from their teachers shoved at me to be opened.
Get Dora going before there is a meltdown.
Chocolate milk. Chocolate milk. Apple Juice. Ben what did you want?

Mix brownies. Throw them in the oven and forget to start the timer.
Answer the phone.
Start dinner.
Curse the toy packaging.
I think it's trash night. Did I take the trashcan down?


Throw dinner at them.
Answer another drink order.
Dora is over, begin another round.
Are those brownies I smell? Oh, no. Change a diaper.
Wash my hands, start a load of laundry, finally take my coat off.


Throw dinner dishes in the dishwasher (wonderful invention Jen).
Throw more gifts at the children (Grandma Montana--just thank you, thank you from the bottom of my worn out heart for sending the girls something to open.)
Curse more toy packaging.


Stop to hang new Dora ornaments on the tree--curse the Dora ornaments, but not you grandma Montana because the things I curse often are my lifesavers--i.e. Play Doh.
Do I smell brownies?
Answer the phone.
Ben did you already break one of your toys?!
Choose which child will talk, hand off the phone, and hope they say something.
No. Just No. We're not going to color tonight.



Start explaining to the children now that there will be only one round of Batman before bed.
Step on something and nearly break my ankle.
Take my work shoes off.
Fly to the brownies. Are they done? I can't tell. Take them out.
Serve hot, gooey brownies.
Answer the phone.
Round up three bags of trash.
Give in and get out the colors.
Start baths.
Get clothes ready for the morning.
Remember to take the trashcan to the curb.
So no, the pictures aren't that great...but the kids had a great time and there was little fighting. Thank you all for making their birthday a success.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup - you go to work to "rest". I see it now. I think I idealized those adorable kids. And you. Guess I should spend a day in your shoes.

Or not! Good job on keeping it together...

The Kings said...

I keep hearing how great those dishwasher things are.

Looks like a great birthday for the kiddos. You run a marathon every single night.

The Dukes said...

Those poor, poor brownies. They never got to realize their potential.

What I read here is another night down. Check.

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

check is correct.