Monday, July 27, 2009

Dude We're Done

Attached please find the result of your third attempt to fix our laptop computer, which obviously failed. My husband, who is in graduate school and works full time and travels often for the National Guard, has spent more than three day’s worth of his personal time in online chats trying to fix this, waiting at our home to receive packages for this, and traveling to drop-off centers to return this computer and pick up replacement parts. The final return of the computer with two notes, one that said it had been fixed and another that said it had not been fixed along with some piece of the computer floating around in the box was particularly aggravating. But it was not nearly as bewildering as the part where one of the notes said that the repair center we sent the computer to did not have the necessary equipment available to repair the computer.

Please do not call our home or our cell phones or our work numbers any more unless there is some actual news to share with us. Along with having to deal with this problem, by escalating it we have apparently been put on a call list to be pestered, which is also aggravating the situation and wasting our time even more fully.

The only acceptable solution we can imagine at this point is either the arrival of a repair person on our doorstep with all of the necessary tools to fix this particular computer or the arrival on our doorstep of a new computer to replace this one.

Sincerely, blah blah.

Since Dell's solution was to have someone call and try to teach us how to re-image our computer, we are now done with them. I was particularly impressed with the four messages they left on our home phone during a work day because, you know, we hang out at home during the work week. We are now officially Mac people.

5 comments:

The Kings said...

I have heard many awesome things about Macs. I want all the details, as we are considering a Mac laptop ourselves someday.

Kristi said...

Thank you. You have confirmed what Trent & I have been debating for a while now. Next computer, we will be welcoming a Mac laptop into our lives.

The Dukes said...

Joe would marry his mac were he not legally bound to me in holy matrimony.

I adore my Dell. Of course, it works!

Anna said...

I have a Toshiba and have had no problems. I've heard nothing but bad things about Dell. But I can't switch to a Mac because I love PC's software. I hate using Jenny's Mac. Maybe someday...

Duke's daddy said...

While there may be a brief period of discomfort, the switch to mac may be the best decision of your life. Just buy a six pack of beer along with your new computer and all will be well. My mac has had ZERO problem in four years and works just as well as the day I got it. As for Sarah's comment, I have thought about the branch of the Mormon church that practiced polygamy but that would throw a wrench into the coffee roasting thing.

Good luck. Go for it.

PS Our mac store offers a one-time class on making the switch from pc to mac.