Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Randomness: Can we count summer over now?

When it was time to leave, Alida was still hanging on to the pole and I had her horizontal trying to pry her off.

When I asked her what kind of birthday cake she wanted she said a purple one with a horse. I will learn to smooth buttercream one day.


Elaine just said she wanted a pink one. So she got the one decorated second when I only had the big fat piping tips left. It was nice to eat something not baked from a mix for the first time since deployment however.


When I picked up Patric, one of things I made sure to do was get a picture of the teddy bear on the right. Patric confirms for me that I'm in love with him for good reason--he's a great guy.
He just looks it, no?



We fed the goldfish with my parents at some point this summer.




It was as disgusting as it ever was.



My first thought: that's not even all of them.
Second thought: why don't they at least have the same hair color?


Man. When he's in the mood, he's in the mood.



Wren's birthday party.
She spent most of the cake time making sure the Chik-fil-A cow didn't come anywhere near her.

Jenny.
She came over to visit and we all played right there in the entry way the entire time.
She also came over to visit faithfully on Sundays when Patric was gone to fold my kids' laundry. That was the biggest help.

I took this picture for a reason other than to point out what a mess it was. I cannot remember now why I did that.


The latest beach game: get wet in the pool, flour yourself in the sandbox, bake in the sun.


She still comes out of no where and scares me with that baby every once-in-awile. It's creepy, and she remembers that it creeps me out.


So if I had to say I missed something from Patric being gone, it would be the out-pouring of support from friends and friends of friends and strangers. That was amazing. I will remain amazed for the rest of my days. And that will be what I remember from this past year: the year that people overflowed with good will.


Even when I took rotten pictures of them.


Dork.


6 comments:

The Kings said...

Great pictures from a very memorable summer! The adorable dork is my favorite.

Never Wear Tennis Shoes to the Dump said...

Summer is over when:
1. "School" starts
2. Heat index drops at or below 90
3. Leaves drop off trees due to drought
4. Labor Day is the next real vacation day
5. Blog page gets make-over
6. Daddy is home for good and forever (best!)

L&B said...

I can picture horizontal Alida being pulled of the merry go round :-)
I think I got an icecream cake for my birthday this year...next year I want Susan's homemade version. The girls' cakes look awesome! I think your cakes are your right brain's outlet.

The Dukes said...

That horse cake is amazing! How did you do that?!

Great photo wrap up of the summer. I'm sure you've been ready for fall for some time now.

The Mighty Stuber Brood said...

I googled line drawing of a horse and exacto-knifed a template. Next time I will google smooth buttercream...

Lori you had Red Velvet at my house for your birthday, but see it wasn't memorable because I didn't make it. Or you don't remember anything anymore because you have a 2-month-old...

L&B said...

YOU'RE RIGHT...IT WAS RED VELVET...don't know why ice cream cake came to mind, but I do remember it was very good!!!
I do have mommy brain - And to confirm, I drove to the wrong friend's house on Sunday for a baby shower.