Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ceremony

On Saturday, we all went to watching Patric's Change of Command Ceremony in Crossville.

He's been troop commander in this town for five years, which is nearly unprecedented.


And he enjoyed most every minute of command I think, right down to the end.

I love seeing this smile in the midst of all the serious faces. It helps me pick out Patric in all that drab finery.


We were late. And when they saw us all roll in together, the soldiers very quietly and very quickly lined up more chairs at the front for me and the brood, even though I tried to plop us all down in a corner in the back. The men would have none of it. I love that they have a huge banner in the armory with a prominently situated heart that says "love." That whole banner is filled with pictures of these soldiers with the members of the local community. This place loves their troops, and we love them back for their unceasing support.
Then they started doing this.



And he handed it to him.



And then they had to exchange words.



And then the thing got handed off again to another guy.

They all look the same...



We started getting antsy.

So I took a moment to click a photo of why the latest scissor ban is in effect. Alida was the stylist this time, trying out her skills on Elaine.



Then this.

This was the moment that Patric was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal.

This was a complete surprise, even though we know he deserves it.



Then they let him talk.



And he talked.



Then he talked with his hands.

And I realized that the soldiers wanted us at the front so they would have some entertainment to watch.



And we all listened to him talk.



And then he finished talking.

And everyone cheered for him. Perhaps because he was done talking, but likely because those men love him almost as much as we love him.



And finally, the most important adoring crowd was released to mob the man who had just wrapped up a very successful command.



Saying good-bye to his tanks is bittersweet I think.

We are proud of him.

Now we're just excited that he'll continue serving when we move, but finally in the same town we live in and not a five hour drive away from us.


More on the final tank ride with the brood and commentary on the cleanest armory in Tennessee tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Kings said...

Proud and bittersweet moments, I'm sure. I love how Ben is standing back admiring the hat in his own Ben-way.

Tennessee's loss will most assuredly be Texas' gain.

Sarah said...

Is Patric's speech available as a podcast? ;) Just kidding!

I hope he at least said "A-dios!" when it was over, Texas Ranger style.

I was hoping Texas would bring with it a 10-3 job for Patric where the worst thing he risked was a paper cut, but that's just because I'm a worrier and now that I care about him I want someone else to protect my freedom. Please tell me they can't send him overseas again, right? He needs to grow that hair out and dye it gray so he looks too old!!