Monday, April 23, 2012

An Aggravating Week: Part II

And so it was that during one of the more busy weeks I've had since diapers, my phone rang at work.
I knew the number.
Ugh.

"Hello...."
"Hi, Ms. Stub her?"
"Yes, this is Mrs. Stew brrr."
"Hi, this is so-and-so from Sienna Crossing Elementary.  I'm the school counselor."

(Oh, this was new.  I am used to hearing from principals.)
"Yes?"

And so she explained that she was reviewing the cultural awareness T-shirt pictures that all the kids in the school had been assigned as homework, and well there was Ben's.

"Mrs. Stuber, can you tell me what the cultural meaning of the skull is in the middle of the picture?"

(Oh.  Oh, dear.)

"No.  No I can't."

"Oh, well I was just thinking.   I mean, I can't hang it up with the others.  Unless maybe there was a cultural significance of the skull?"

My head reply: Well, it's a strange exercise.  These kids all live in sticky-sweet suburbia together.  They are all growing up as friends.  Why in Kindergarten are we choosing to make them all start picking out the differences amongst each other?  And so what if we are a family of pirates?  Why are you going to pick on us?

My verbal reply: "There's no significance.  I'm sure their father told them to just draw a picture.  Do we need to re-do it?"

Perking up: "Well, yes.  Yes, I think that's probably best."

"Okay, thank you. Just send it home."

5 comments:

Nicki said...

Hi I'm Nicki, cousin of the Dukes! I read your blog quite often, but this post made me laugh so hard I just had to comment. I just started my first semester of my Master's in Teaching. I am currently taking a class about culturally diverse instruction and from what I can tell from my other classes as well, I must know all of my students and reconize each of their differences.. in every lesson!!! Now I will be teaching middle or high school, but this is also being preached at the elementary level and it really makes me laugh hearing the opinion of a mother and your thoughts of culturally responsive instruction. I have no problem with it being taught, but at the Kindergarten level it's pretty funny to hear the counselor's concern and your opinions!! lol

The Noltes said...

This is so infuriating!! You were spot-on with your 'mind' response! And why oh why are they giving this ridiculous assignment!!
Please-- don't get me started!

Gran of The Dukes

mrhc said...

You should totally have told her it represented the Day of the Dead. Because a skull is part of a skeleton.

The Dukes said...

What. In. The. World. Who tells a 5 year old, a 5 year old that can draw well no less, that what he did for his homework in response to a cultural awareness lesson. Apparently the counselor is not AWARE as she could be of the culture of 5 year olds. Moron.

The Crazy Castros said...

Tooooo funny!!!