Saturday, February 23, 2008

One Car Ride, Tonya Harding, and First Finger Foods

Car! Car! Car! was all I heard from a sick Benjamin yesterday morning. Tried the Car movie; tried the car toy; tried a car ride. The last one was what did him in even though he loved it. We couldn't really go anywhere, so we drove. We drove until he puked. Then we sped toward home.
Shhh. Don't tell daddy.*
But since Benjamin was smiling, we stopped at McDonalds on the way back to get some Sprite and maybe a sandwhich.
And on the way out of the parking lot, the phone rang. On on the other end was someone who obviously knew me named Harding. Harding, Harding, Harding. I rolled through my mental rolodex as Benjamin began to puke once again. I'm so sorry, who? The twins in Lawrence, Sarah Farthing. (exasperated at my idiocy.) Sarah! Oh, I'm so sorry. Schnucks, Schnucks, they're at your house. Huh? (Sound of Ben puking) How far are you? Thought you would be home-bound. (I've just found out that I am.) I'll call them and tell them to wait.
And when we pulled up the nicest man was sitting there waiting with a couple armloads of groceries sent lovingly from not Tonya Harding but Sarah Farthing (The Dukes mom). And that was the best part of the day because there was no way that I was getting to the store. All of our favorites (uncanny really) sat on the table--milk, cereal bars, fruit chews, chicken soup, bread, bananas, pears, Pedialyte!
And my big mistake of the day (bigger than the car ride probably) was going to the bathroom after letting my boys have noodles from the chicken noodle soup in the living room. Alida has now had her official first finger foods, and she loves noodles and crackers.
And, Elaine is the happiest sick, teething baby I've ever seen.
*The McDonalds ban is not about nutritional value mind you. Nope. My kids will be banned from the clown's place due to second amendment political stands. (Except perhaps when daddy isn't looking...)

No comments: