Wednesday, December 5, 2007

THINGS TOO AGGRAVATING TO GRAB THE CAMERA DURING: The Fine Nuance of the Word Crackle

It’s not really what they’re saying, but it’s what you hear them saying that can cause the problems. Crackle.Outside, if someone tears off toward the sandbox screaming crackle, they are really saying cackle, which is toddler for castle. The entire screaming of that word means: “Come make me a sand castle, and I will in turn knock it down so that you can be forced to build it again.”
Inside, if someone comes in the kitchen with an extended hand, whining crackle, they are really saying crah-cah, which is toddler for cracker. The entire whining of that word means: “Give me a cracker and give me one now because I know the babies are sleeping and you want me quiet. If you don’t give me a cracker, I am about to get pretty loud in this house.”
Inside, if the toddlers climb in their chairs at the table, repeating crackle like no one heard them the first time, they are really saying cala, which is toddler for color. The entire Rainman repeating of this phrase means: “I am climbing up in this chair because I want to color, and you must provide me with colors now because you won’t give me a stool tall enough to reach the top of the fridge.”Most of the time you just hear crackle until they repeat it a few times, and you watch what they are doing to figure out the rest. Hopefully you remember to pronounce the word correctly for them upon fulfilling the wish. In the morning when you are prepping tonight’s dinner, getting toddler’s breakfast ready, turning to the monitor every few moments because you can’t tell if the baby is crying or if you just hear crying all the time in your head now, and slamming crackle (toddler word khaki, which means coffee), you can imagine that the interpretation of crackle may become confused.When the boys found a cracker on the floor by the window this morning, I felt guilty for a few moments because I decided to let them eat a cracker off the floor. But they did seem to be sharing, and I was almost done with the sausage and had convinced myself that it really was just the crying in my head that had distracted me. As Jenny’s car door closed in the driveway, a real baby cried on the monitor, and the oatmeal in the microwave beeped complete, I turned around to SEE the cracker they found, which was really cala, which is toddler for COLOR. As in the COLOR PURPLE from a MARKER on the window, the wall, the floor board, and the tile floor. And this was all too aggravating to go grab the camera during, so the boys fortunately have no proof. Because then we had to get down and why (toddler for why, which means wipe). Many purple whys later, we had it mostly up.

No comments: