Monday, April 8, 2013

The Day We Became Cannibals

Dear Everyone I know, who all decided to text me last Thursday around 7 pm, except for the folks I work with, which may have actually been useful this one time,

I'm so sorry I didn't respond.  I had just sliced off the tip of my finger.

Sincerely, Susan

We never found the tip of my finger, which went missing while I was slicing cheese for the children's dinner.  Um, they wound up eating all of the cheese. 

That evening for prayers, Nicholas closed his eyes and prayed the following: "Dear God, please help mommy's finger to heal by next week."  Ben followed quickly, "Dear God, please help mommy's finger to heal by tomorrow."  Not to be outdone, Nicholas responded dutifully, "Dear God, please help mommy's finger to heal right now!"

Everything a competition, even prayer.

2 comments:

The Dukes said...

Oh my lord, Susan, I feel your pain. I did this once slicing potatoes down a mandolin in our kitchen sink about 7 minutes before our dinner guests rang our doorbell. Luckly, we did find the tip of my finger and I couldn't believe how much of it actually came off. I remember there being no way to relieve the pain. Running water over the area was like needles in my eyeballs. Pressure from anything hurt so bad. I hate that this happened to you!

Brian and Lori said...

Our finger tip is one of the most sensitive parts of our bodies, of which you are now painfully aware. Gosh...so sorry to hear about this!